Thursday, August 10, 2006

First day of school



Yes, you are looking at my first and second graders. I think they looked very handsome for the first day of school.

When their alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, they both came sleepy-eyed down the hallway. Both were smiling and Lake even began to jump up and down when he realized it was the first day of school. They also greeted me with good-morning hugs which isn't something they usually do.

After breakfast and a good grooming we were out the door. Daisy went with us while Rosie stayed at home with John Henry (she was still asleep!)

On the way to school Lake started to get nervous. I was trying to calm any fears he might have and endep up getting misty-eyed myself. Thankfully my voice didn't waiver too much - I don't want them to worry about me and knowing these two, they would worry about me!

The first stop was to Lake's class. After making lunch choices they were going to sort out school supplies. I promised to check on him before I left. Then Tate and I headed to his room. He had appeared calm all morning but I noticed he was nervous, too. They are allowed to have a bottle of water on their desk. I reminded Tate that his bottle was in his backpack so he quickly took it out and shoved it INTO his desk. I told him that it was OK to have the water and why didn't he put it ON his desk. The teacher had asked the children to draw a picture of their family while everyone was coming in and getting settled. When she asked Tate what he was drawing, the poor thing nearly jumped out of his skin.

Oh, I know they will both be fine but it was hard on me to leave them this morning.

I know when I was expecting all four, people would warn me about sleepless nights and the terrible twos. No one warned me of this aching heart of them growing up. Every year I think the next time will be easier. Well, it's not. It just means they are growing more. I don't mind the actually growing and learning. I like to see them grow and learn. I just know it's for the ultimate goal of leaving home.

I can't even begin to think of early September when the girls start school. No, not yet.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Oh O-Bo! Poor thing. I love that he wants to learn Spanish to TALK with someone. He is sooo verbal!

Lake is such the BIG BOY. What happened? When did this happen?

*sigh*