I avoid taking all four children grocery shopping with me unless John Henry goes with us. I don't think I have to explain why.
I try to go at night or on the weekend and I usually take one child with me - I try to rotate so that everyone gets a turn. I like the one on one time, too.
Well, yesterday after church and lunch it was time to go grocery shopping. It was Lake's turn to go with me. Somehow while I was putting on my shoes they decided that they all wanted to go with me. I hesitated for a second and then decided that I would take all four. I set some new rules, first. When I just take one with me I let that child push the grocery cart. The first rule was Mom is pushing the cart. Everyone agreed to abide. The second rule was: No hopping or skipping the blocks in the tile floor. What is it with that? Does anyone else have children that try to jump for tile to tile or see how many they can jump over? It's just too hard to maneuver our group plus a cart while everyone is jumping through a crowded store. They agreed to this, too.
That's all it took. Two rules explained before we left the house. I couldn't ask for a better gang yesterday.
2 comments:
How wonderful!
I take all three of the kids all the time. My personal rule is: No grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday. There are just too many people. We go in the early morning when there are older ladies and moms with kids like me. The people in the store know us. It's always fun for me.
And, I used to jump from tile to tile.
Post a Comment