Both boys declared the first day of school a success. The only negative thing they had to comment on was the crowded bus. So, we have decided that they will ride the bus to school and I will pick them up at school in the afternoon. We had to compromise on this because Lake wanted me to drive them to and from school and Tate wanted to ride the bus both ways. He didn't mind the crowd. This morning they were both happy with the new arrangement. I just hope they don't forget to give their teachers the notes and somehow wind up on the bus this afternoon. See, I can always find something to worry about....
I asked them what their favorite part of the day was. Tate immediately said he enjoyed the Spanish. I think the reason he loves learning Spanish is because he likes to talk to the owner of our favorite Mexican restaurant. I think the owner enjoys it, too.
Lake's favorite part of the day was touring the new school. This is his fourth school building in as many years - not because we have moved (which we haven't) but because last year they were at a temporary site while this building was being remodeled.
From what they both told me about the day, I even have a favorite part. They have a new principal this year and it seems that he came to EACH class and read a story about a school principal and then gave each child a pencil. The magnet program goes through fifth grade but they are separated into two campuses. This principal has the neighborhood kindergarteners and the first and second grade magnet school kids. (The other campus has kindergarten for that neighborhood and third, fourth and fifth grade magnet school kids.) I was pleased that this new principal took the time to read a story atleast twelve times since there are six first and six second grade classes. I don't know if he read the story to the kindergarten classes. My boys have only known female teachers and principals and I'm sure most of the other kids are the same. Anyway, it was just a nice touch I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment