Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Phone call

Before I give the phone call details, I need to give a little background information. At the beginning of each month during the school year a lunch menu is sent home. I go over it with the boys and they decide which days they want to buy their lunch and which days they will be taking a lunch from home. This isn't set in stone but it does give me an idea when planning out the week and month ahead. The menu has two choices each day. One of the first things the children do in the classroom each morning is make a lunch selection. The lunches are cooked at another school and then sent to the boys' school. They are able to keep the lunches hot and the boys say they taste good.

This week Tate wanted to buy his lunch on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Lake wanted to buy on Wednesday and Thursday. The choices for Wednesday are chicken pot pie and steak with gravy. Thursday's choices are chicken nuggets and roast. This morning Lake asked me what was for lunch today. I glanced at the menu and said chicken nuggets. Today is Wednesday. The phone call at 8:50 this morning went like this:

Me: Hello?

Lake: Hey Mommy.

Me: Hey Buddy - Are you OK?

Lake: Yeah. slight pause. The lunch choice isn't what you said it was.

Me: Oh. What are the choices?

Lake: chicken pot pie.

Me: Is there another choice?

Lake: (I can hear the secretary in the background) The other choice is steak and gravy.

Me: Hey - good! You like steak and gravy.

Lake: Oh. OK. (with all of the office staff listening) I love you, Mommy.

Me: I love you, too. I'll see you this afternoon.

click.

Do you know how much I love this boy? Do you know how hard I laughed when I relayed the phone call to John Henry? Of course, he says Lake gets this from my side of the family.

My almost eight year old son told me that he loves me - without being prompted - in front of lots of other people.

*sigh*

1 comment:

Trixie said...

AND pointed out that you had were WRONG about the lunch choices...definitely something that he gets from our side of the family :)