The summer ball season started last night with their first practice. Tonight is the first game. The season only lasts four weeks and consists of ten games. It's not as competitive as the regular season - it is designed to help the (mostly) boys understand the rule changes from t-ball to minor b (or machine pitch.) It also helps them not be afraid of the ball being pitched from the machine at 43 miles per hour. Most of the boys on this particular team have played machine pitch before so this will help fine tune their skills.
Three of the little boys are moving up from t-ball. Tate is one of those three. He was a little nervous but very excited. He started practice in the outfield. He then was moved up to second base. Then he was moved to 'pitcher'.
When it was his turn to bat I found myself holding my breath. He has a good form but couldn't make contact with the ball. He finally fouled one ball and all of the coaches and myself along with a few other parents jumped up and you could hear things being said like, "Way to go! You're all over the ball, now!" and "Straighten that one out and it will be a home run every time!"
While he was at bat Lake came to me (I'm not sure why he left the field) and I asked him if was having fun. He said, "Yeah. I'm having fun because I get to watch my little brother do a great job at his first practice. Did you see him hit that ball? Isn't he doing good?" These are his exact words - I know because I have played that short conversation over in my head many times. I didn't realize how much I needed him to say something kind about his brother without me forcing it out of him. They haven't had much patience with each other lately. I expect the little arguments - they are brothers, right? But I want them to grow up and love each other.
Last night was one of those moments that catch you off guard, grab your heart and give it a good squeeze. These moments happen often. I can't explain it other than a physical pain as if someone is literally squeezing my heart. I understand the phrase about loving someone so much that it hurts. The first time I heard that, I thought to myself, "If it hurts then get away." This is a good pain and I don't want to get away!
No comments:
Post a Comment