Monday, July 10, 2006

Different

Being the mother of four children, I am well aware of the fact that no two personalities are the same. Although I do see similarities, the four are very different from each other.

I was reminded of this yesterday.

If I ask the boys to clean their room, Lake usually jumps right in and starts putting things away. Within a few minutes he's complaining that Tate isn't helping. Then Tate starts complaining that he doesn't know what to do.

It finally hit me that he is overwhelmed with large, seemingly (to him) non-descript jobs.

The cure?

Give him a direct job such as sweeping the floor.

While Lake was cleaning the room, Tate was in the kitchen sweeping the floor. Both boys were happy AND they were contributing to the home.

Oh, you're wondering what the girls were doing while the boys were busy?

Rosie was cleaning the girls room and Daisy was following me around the house.

1 comment:

Sarabeth said...

My daughters are different like that as well. If I ask Inwe to clean up the sunroom/playroom she immediately starts. Larien is a different story. I have to stand in the room giving her little jobs to do. I don't know if it is age at this point, but I have a feeling it will stay that way.