Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My Grandmother

Today is my Grandmother's birthday. She would be 75 if she were still alive. I went with my mom to the cemetery. My aunt, uncle, cousin, his wife, their five children and my four children were also at the cemetery. It was very cold so we didn't stay very long. But atleast I was able to finally realize why I've been a grump for the past few days. I love Grandmother. I miss her so much and she's been gone for 18 months. I see so much of her in Rosie. It's so strange at times when I least expect it I will get 'whiff' of her - unmistakably her. It's that mix of soap and perfume and her soft skin that couldn't be the same on anyone else. When that comes over me I have to just stop until it passes. While I was at the cemetery I noticed grave markers with dates of death several years ago (30 or more years ago) and I have to wonder do any of their survivors still have that physical pain when they think of that loved one?

1 comment:

Trixie said...

I still think of Granddad the same way. Sometimes I just get very choked up over a passing thought. Like his fish belt or his trout pen or how he made eggs for breakfast. Sometimes I can feel the floorboards of the house under my feet just like they felt over by the doorway into his hallway by the kitchen. Once I had this ache to open those kitchen cabinets and I don't know what caused it. I dream alot too. I hear his voice. I think about Granny a bit as well. I associate scents with her and the soft feel of tissue paper skin (something my Mother has inherited). I hear her voice too. My Mom still feels the physical pain of losing her, and Mims, and Granddad. For me though it is clearly Granddad who I miss the most and to some extent Aunt Libby. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a parent and I don't think I want to know. Some day I will have no choice but I want that to be a long way off. I love you honey!