Yesterday morning John Henry noticed that Lake's fish (Fred) was dead. It was right before the boys were to leave for school. Rather than mention it we decided to wait until after school and tell him. John Henry did get him out of the tank and put him in a freezer bag and placed him in the freezer. I don't know why we do this - it just seems harsh to flush the fish down the toilet. After a while, we throw them out. Evidently things were hectic around our house yesterday afternoon and evening and we both forgot to tell Lake about his fish.
Today when the boys came in from school, Lake went to check on the fish.
"Mom, did my fish die?"
"Yeah, buddy - I'm sorry."
"When?"
"I think sometime yesterday, but I'm not quite sure."
"Where is he?"
"Uhm, Dad put him in the freezer."
After finding the bag with Fred, he looked at him for a few minutes and then said, "Since he's dead and frozen, I think we should just throw him away. Is that OK? I mean, it's just kinda gross to keep him."
So true!
1 comment:
It is nasty! But at least you were intenting to tell him. My parents never mentioned it and when i returned from a sleep over, the glass bowl was in the drying rack. All cleaned out. No one was home and that made it sooo much worse!
Post a Comment