Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Nice surprise

Yesterday Daisy and I went to eat lunch with Lake. (Don't worry about Tate, we are going to have lunch with him tomorrow.) Well, last year when I had lunch with Lake he often tried to get me to sit with someone else. He would say things like, "Hey, mom, you could sit with HB's mom", or "Mom, don't you want to sit with Ms. A?"

I had just the opposite effect with Tate last year. When I had lunch with him, I usually left with him crying because he wanted to come home with me.

Yesterday we seemed to find our place. As I approached Lake's classroom I heard him say, "I love school!!" They have been studying bats and he has found this very interesting. He's been searching on the internet for information and that has given me the opportunity to teach him about the internet in a setting that he doesn't feel like I'm lecturing him.

OK. OK. Back to lunch. First of all, he initiated the whole thing. He asked me on Sunday night if I could come to lunch with him this week. He already knew that I was coming to lunch with Tate on Wednesday so maybe he was just trying to claim his time with me. I was able to talk with him and a little boy that he has wanted to invite over. This little boy has lots of lizards in his yard so of course Lake thinks that is very cool. I was able to clarify with his friend that these lizards live outside rather than in his room (Lake had been trying to tell me that he had several lizards in his room.) All in all, it was a very nice lunch date with my oldest son.

Now, I wonder how things will go with Tate. Will he cry when I leave? I'll keep you posted.

No comments: