It started out as a normal day. I took Lake to the bus and then John Henry took Tate to school. Both girls slept until after 9:00am. I had agreed to watch Lu (almost three-year-old daughter of a good friend.) She arrived around 10:00am. All three girls were playing and having a fun time.
At one point they all ended up on Lake's bed (he sleeps on the top bunk.) Rosie and Daisy are used to the bunk beds and can climb the ladder without any problems. They also know not to jump or stand on the top bunk. Well, I told my girls to get down - I had to help Lu as she couldn't figure out how to get down the ladder. As I was helping her, I told the girls to stay off the bed. Then off they went down the hall to play in the girl's room. This happened two more times. My girls are NOT perfect by any means; however, when it comes to something like this they would normally obey. I know the bunk beds look like a tree house to a small child, especially someone that hasn't been around these kind of beds. By the third time of getting them off the bed I told them to just stay out of the boys' room. They were playing in the living room and I went to the kitchen to prepare lunch. The living room is right off the kitchen.
In less than three minutes I heard a heavy THUMP!
Immediately my stomach was in a knot. I ran to the boys' room and found Daisy on her left side but face down on the floor. The other girls were on Lake's bed. I know I shouldn't have moved her but I scooped her up and tried to see if she was OK. She was screaming and holding her head and neck with both hands. No tears, just screams. I tried to get Rosie to tell me what happened - I was holding out hope that she had fallen from Tate's bed. Finally she told me that Daisy was sitting on the rail of Lake's bed.
John Henry was near the house. When he came in I called the pediatrician and tried to explain what happened. I remember telling the nurse that I was taking Daisy somewhere and I just needed her to tell me whether to take her to the office or the ER.
The time was 11:40am. Both boys were still at school and Lu was still at my house. Her mom was in Atlanta on a field trip to see "Wicked" with Lu's older sister. John Henry took Daisy to the ER while I franticly tried to find Lu's dad. He left me three numbers but didn't answer any when I called. I called Lu's mom on her cell phone. She tracked down her husband and he came to get Lu. He's a lawyer and works near our house.
I decided to get both boys from school (remember they are at two different schools this year) and take them to my mom. I just kept thinking that I wanted everyone to be together. Thanks to Tee for getting Lake from school and meeting me half way and GiGi for finding my mom at work, I was able to get to the hospital shortly after John Henry and Daisy.
I cannot explain the feeling in my heart when I saw Daisy, my LITTLE Daisy, on that big hospital stretcher. She's been to the ER before with a fever virus when she was only a few weeks old. This was different.
The x-ray technician assistant came to take her to x-ray. This 19 year old bleach blonde with tacky eye shadow (and too much of it!) pointed to John Henry and said, "YOU can come with me." Are you kidding me?! Please.
According to the x-rays and CAT scan Daisy is fine. The ER doctor said she had a concussion by definition because she fell and hit her head. By this time she was no longer holding her head and neck but didn't want anyone near her left shoulder. When I pressed the ER doctor about her shoulder he decided to order one more x-ray of it. This x-ray didn't show any fracture either. So, we were sent home and told to follow up with her pediatrician next week. Oh, and give her ibuprofen for the pain and any swelling.
Last night when I was buckling her into her carseat she said, "Mommy, do it softly, OK?"
*Big heavy sigh*
1 comment:
Poor thing! I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but I've yet to take one of my kids to the ER. I thought I was going to have to when Inwe fell down the stairs, but she was okay.
Here's a big, heavy sigh from me.
Post a Comment