Saturday, May 17, 2008

begging for more

I started reading to the kids at night several weeks ago. The boys are fine to read by themselves but Rosie is just learning to read and still needs me by her side when she reads most books. However, since the boys are getting older and reading more in-depth books, I felt it was time that I started reading along with them (either reading to them or at the least, reading the same book mainly to monitor content.)

For starters, I read Swiss Family Robinson since we had visited Disney World and they completely loved visiting the tree house based on the story. We enjoyed the book - yes, even me because it was one I hadn't read as a child. Next I let Lake choose the book and he picked The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket. For the first few nights of reading, I only read one chapter a night. On Thursday I read two chapters because we were left hanging after one! Well, last night we were four chapters from the end. After two chapters (evidently I spoiled them Thursday!) they were begging for more. They both exclaimed, "Mom, you can't stop there! It's just not fair! How will we sleep without knowing what happens? Pleeeeeeease, Mom?"

I love it! We finished the book last night (geesh! I didn't want to be left hanging either!) I'll let Tate choose what we start tonight. We'll read The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket soon as it's the next in the series. I'm sure we'll be going to the library this week and we'll pick it up then.

Oh, and don't worry, they are still reading books on their own, too.

No comments: