Thursday, January 24, 2008

Baseball vs. soccer

It's almost baseball season around here. In fact, registration is in less than two weeks. Since the age of 4, the boys have played t-ball and baseball in the spring/summer and soccer in the fall/winter. We tried basketball one winter and it just didn't work out very well. John Henry and I think that the boys need organized sports. We also think that they need exposure to different sports while they are young and then they can decide which they enjoy and want to pursue as they get older.

As I was taking Lake to school this morning, he informed me that he wanted to play spring soccer rather than baseball. He moves up this year to the 'kid' pitch league and is apprehensive. He is an incredible baseball player. He's a good soccer player, too.

So, should I let him make this decision? He's nine years old and in the third grade.

I plan on having a conversation with Tate (out of earshot of Lake) to see if he feels the same. I can't make him play soccer just because his older brother didn't want to play baseball this year. Thankfully the soccer fields are adjacent to the baseball fields!

Oh, why does no one warn of us these things when we are wanting to have babies?? All you hear about is sleepless nights when they are little. What about when they start growing up? It doesn't get any easier, does it?

1 comment:

Trixie said...

If you are sure its anxiety talking then maybe you could find a way to address that and then revisit the question of which sport to play. Is there time?