Thursday, April 26, 2007

Education update

It has been awhile since I've had a post about school and since there are only 19 school days left, I thought it might be a good time to post an update.

Before you read, know this: I don't write this to be a comparison of the children to each other. I realize they are all different and approach things from different views. Mainly, I just want to have a compilation of the years accomplishments and progressions.

The boys have enjoyed a good year. Both are excelling in all subjects. The schools here are on a nine-week grading period. Lake made one B+ during the first grading period and was quite upset about it. Since then, we have only seen A's on his report card. Tate has brought home all A's for the entire year of first grade (even in spelling with words like glamorous!)

Lake has always had good handwriting. Tate has not. Last year, he felt that if all the letters of the word were on one page, well, then you should be able to figure out what he was trying to write. This year I have seen much improvement in his handwriting.

Math is still the favorite subject for both boys.

Lake is finally learning the joy of finishing a book. I have struggled with him about starting a book only to set it aside to do the same with another book. I completely understand reading more than one book at a time as I do this myself.

Rosie is nearing the completion of her final year of preschool. The biggest struggles have been the separation issue (which she has overcome greatly!) and the peanut issue. I have talked with the teacher and director about this and the school is possibly making steps towards a peanut free school. This won't help me because it isn't something that will happen immediately (if ever) but hopefully will pave the way for another mother trying to protect her child.

Rosie is registered for kindergarten. There are still alot of questions surrounding where she will actually attend kindergarten but that is for another post.

Daisy is still very happy with preschool. I think she will miss it over the summer. It has been good for her. Well, for me, too! She is learning to write her name. Her imagination is amazing. Next year will be an interesting time for the two of us with the others at school full time.

I have made a better effort of reading to the girls. They enjoy it so much that I have a little guilt that I wasn't more diligent in the past in my reading to them.

The school year has flown by. My children are growing too fast.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Are you able to come to a game the weekend of June 9th? Please let me know as soon as possible so that Roger can get the tix.

Also did your hubby ever get my email about the art auction?

You are a great MOM and your kids are learning so much from you. Maybe they don't have it down pat yet {like finishing the book} but they are working on it. Don't beat yourself up over not reading to the girls. We can't do everything the same for every child. It's a fact. But you love them all and that's what matters most.

I miss you terribly and hope that my company seals the deal with a company in Huntsville that they are looking at. If so I will see you a lot for a while. Come over as soon as you can and bring my babies. I miss the hugs!

{And we may not get this baby boy in June. BM is acting weird. So I need some kiddo love ASAP.}